Sunday 20 September 2015

part 3: afropunk

I promised part 3, and here it is. looking at the photos it seems I was in NY just a few days ago - but it's been almost a month. even after 3 weeks back at school my brain is completely rejecting the notion that it's no longer summer. but what can you do? time does its thing.



















once again AfroPunk was an oasis of mindblowing fashion and music. standout acts have to be Grace Jones, Kelela and Goldlink. Lauryn Hill was also great but her performance was underwhelming; I don't know her music well enough to let her mere presence substitute for stage presence. but to be fair, we were really far from the stage and her power was cut off about 30 minutes in. Grace Jones was awesome and is looking incredible for 67. I didn't know Kelela very well but knew I wanted to see her - and I was right. Her vocals are insane and her set was super fun. new york is magical in itself and being in ny with beautiful weather, beautiful people and beautiful music amplifies this otherworldliness x1000. it was an enchanting, memorable weekend.

-hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment