Saturday 16 February 2013

having friends who are artists is helpful

Sorry for my absence.
I've been busy.
But now it's half term and I will have time to post more. Pinkie promise.
So...
Luckily for me, one of my mum's/my/family friends is an artist. 
I recommend having an artist as a friend.
IMG_4567
sheepwolf 2010
She has a series of these kind of sculptures - two animals joined into one. For me this is a symbolization of internal conflict. The wolf wants to eat the sheep and the sheep wants to run away but neither can fulfill their desire. It's also about fear and hidden personalities - someone who seems innocent could in truth be dangerous. I really love this work. It means so many things and can be interpreted in so many different ways.
 
valentines copy
Is this what it feels like to be in love?
I imagine so.
I wouldn't know, though.

catbirdgold

This has a very similar meaning to the sculpture above. The bird wants to fly, but it is anchored to the ground by the cat. It's like enclosing yourself in a cage, and the part of you that wants to be free is held back by the opposing part of you that won't - or can't - do so. This is so relevant. I think everyone feels like this sometimes.

Also, here's her website. 

-Hannah

2 comments:

  1. I adore the concept of those sculptures,the way she conveys inner conflict is very clever. I'll definitely be checking out more of her work.

    Also, glad to see you back Hannah! :)

    -Heather
    aesthetic-junkie-blog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete